Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Puck

Notes from Enlightened Leadership.

"We must anticipate where the market is going and will be, not where it is or has been - we need to ask the right questions"

Powerful stuff - reminds me of a couple of Gretzky quotes;
“I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.”
“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.”


So, where is the market going? If you're in mid-career and you have 20 years left until age-based retirement, which basket are you going to keep your eggs in for that time? What is the "safe, secure" marketplace for the next 20 years?

I'm not going to pretend that I know the answers to those questions.

I know the internet is going to be involved. I know that success is going to take excellence. I know that the marketplace will need leadership.

Beyond that, I know that there are people who know.

Decide who you're going to take advice from, then - follow their advice (now there's good advice that I should really take myself).

That first quote really has two parts - the second being - ask the right questions.

I've learned that our subconscious brain will go to work to answer any question we ask of it. Why don't my wife and I get along? - ask myself that and my brain will go to work and give me answers. Answers that won't necessarily help me to improve the situation. How can I demonstrate to my wife that I love her? - when my brain goes to work on that question, I can expect the improvements I am hoping for.

Ask the right questions!

No comments: