Saturday, May 9, 2009

Are you "googleable"?

Yes, that's now a word. I looked it up, and found quite a few references;
Urban dictionary definition
A blog dedicated to it! - no recent updates though :-(
I'll let you see the rest at your leisure, there were 97,800 results.

What does it mean for my job search?

I want everything found on google when someone searches for "Rick VanGameren" to be something I'm happy for a potential employer or business partner to find. I have the good fortune, for this goal, to have a unique name. If it wasn't, I'd have to come up with a way to "uniquify" my name. Maybe something like; "Fred (I deliver overnight) Smith". Probably still need some more thought on that one.

Step one; what do you get when you google your name?

Use that as a starting point. Then decide what results you want to represent you, and - if you can, go back and brand them with the name you want people to use to find you.

Comment here if you have any questions.

No comments: