Monday, March 2, 2009

30 seconds

That's all the time my resume has in the hands of a hiring manager before a decision is made; keep - or toss.

Check out this posting from Liz Lynch and the mp3 file of the tele-seminar.

Some of the suggestions may help to get my resume in the right pile.

Ideally, my resume is in someone's hands because they asked for it. That's one of the reasons I'm pushing so hard right now to build my network on linkedin (www.linkedin.com)

When I look at my career, and the job interviews along the way - I'm reminded that it's been quite a long time since I've had an interview with a stranger based on a job advertisement that resulted in a job offer and placement. The last time (and only time since graduating university) it has happened for me is May of 1986. Almost 23 years ago! Every other job change/career move has been the result of leveraging a personal recommendation.

If you see a good suggestion online, please leave a comment here or email me at; rick dot vangameren at gmail dot com

I wish you the best in your job search!

No comments: