Monday, March 2, 2009

Not quite far enough

This article from Kevin Eikenberry advocates being intentional about TV viewing.

What if it went one step further? How about an "over the top", "you gotta be kidding", "there's no way that's going to happen" kind of idea?

Here it is.

Unplug.

Disconnect your antenna or cable.

Think about it.

How would your life be different? What would you do instead of watching TV?

Now just in case you're thinking; I bet Rick watches TV. You're right; I do. Our TV is connected to a DVD player and a VCR. Cable; no. Antenna; no. So when we do watch TV, what we watch is intentional. We actually have an antenna on the roof, and when we moved in three years ago I asked my daughter if she wanted me to connect it. Her answer; "No, I'd just waste time watching TV".

How's my life different? Well; I do spend a lot of time behind a computer. In the last few years I've learned a lot about the automotive industry, Linux, marketing, ministry, etc. I've kept up with pictures from friends and family in Facebook.

But the most noticeable part for me is how I look at advertising. For the most part, it's difficult for advertisers to reach me. I don't even listen to broadcast radio. What I've seen over the last few years is that advertisers are getting louder and more outrageous as they seek to get our attention.

Keep in mind this point; the purpose of TV and radio is to deliver advertising. All the programming is created to ensure that you're there to receive the advertising. That's the bottom line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. I have not purchased the digital converter for mine, so when the signal stops...so will I. I have mine on first thing in the morning and I leave it on for the dog for background noise. I guess she needs to get used to it not being on. It had some problems a few months ago and I went without it for a while and got a lot done. PS. Your blog is very interesting. I have been reading it even though I had not commented.